12.2.09

Courage

The more I learn, the more frustrated I become. Is that the purpose of the education, to make us into informed, but utterly confused individuals who are incapable of forming opinions because we actually see both sides?

Education makes my brain hurt.

This week the confusion escalated as I listened to this man. I had heard him speak once before, in the White City, what seemed like eons ago. When we found out his was coming to pay us a visit in Provo, we all frantically jumped on the computers and signed up for his three day lecture class on the conflict in Jerusalem.

He struck me as a very interesting man the first time he spoke to us. He was wearing worn out jeans and an untidy blue, wrinkled shirt, but he was very well spoken, using such striking analogies and metaphors I was forced to write them down. I felt naturally inclined to trust his words. I didn't have to sift through his words to find the truth within them. I saw it more plainly before me.

This time he was in a suit. I felt much more removed from the subject, and I felt sadness rise within me that I wasn't as current on the conflict as I once had been. I was eager to hear his words, to let them dance around in my mind. Some of what I heard came back like I had once heard it in a dream. But a lot of it was new. I laughed to myself as I thought that I had spent an entire semester learning about the subject and I had barely cracked the surface on what there is to know. I think sometimes we learn so we can see how ignorant we really are. It keeps us humble.

He is a no nonsense man, one that tells you how it is. Usually I dislike people like that because they come off cynical, the Scrooges of the world. But what I was most impressed with as I listened to him was not his knowledge, his resume, his client base, or even his metaphors. It was his strong moral standing and his sense of hope. He is an Israeli citizen, but he has taken cases up against Israeli settlers, lobbied for schools to be built in East Jerusalem, and knows everything and anything there is to know about the possibilities for peace in Jerusalem. He has done what he thinks is right, in a resounding, impacting, could ruin your entire career, kind of way. I could see within him a strong moral compass, one that he would not stray from, no matter how politically or non-politically correct he was being. He presented us with seemingly insurmountable difficulties, and yet... he urged us to make the difference. That as Americans, and even as Christians we had a part to play in this rally for peace. And we must have hope.

I have been thinking a lot lately about hope. How easily we can lose hope, how easily we can gain it. How universal it is. We may be of different lands, of different cultures, but we all hope. Hope for peace, for a better way of life, for love, for happiness.

Sometimes making a difference in the world seems too daunting. I've always been one to entertain the idea that one day I will make a difference in the world. But as I become more and more educated, I become more and more overwhelmed with the task. Human beings, however fundamentally the same, are very complicated. And that makes making a difference a very difficult thing. But...

If you don't hope, no one will. If you don't try, no one does. The world is vast, heart breaking, and often times cold. But for all the tragedy that seems to emanate from this habitat of ours, there is an incredible amount of good. And my belief is that it stems from hope. Hope in more than life, in a Creator of all, and hope that as an individual, you can make a difference.

As I listened to him, I prayed that I could have such courage. That I could stand knowing that not once had I betrayed my conscience. That I could do what is right because it was right. Always.

The conflict seems impossible and the more I do learn the more confused I become about its intricacies. It's not so black and white; humans are involved after all. And yet... if you take one more look maybe it's not as impossible. One thing I do know, we will never find peace if we don't have hope that we will.

Courage. Courage to stand. Courage to learn. Courage to hope.

M

3 comments:

The Reichmans said...

Sis-I miss you brains-it feels ages since we ran together. I love your thoughts-you are such a great writer. Love you-nanny

Anonymous said...

You ask

"Is that the purpose of the education, to make us into informed, but utterly confused individuals who are incapable of forming opinions because we actually see both sides?"

Yes. I don't say this in a cynical way but I do think that developing nuance is the essence of education. With nuance, we stop asking the question of "Who is right?" and begin asking the question, "What will work?"

For the problem you address above, I like this idea:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/28/opinion/28friedman.html

Christina said...

I just recently came to connect some things that have been important to me: faith, hope, charity and "all is well". I think that hope is having faith that ultimately God's purposes will unfold and charity to do your part in helping the "all is well" happen.

It is difficult but with some courage as you say, we take a stand and have hope.

Love, MOM