7.3.09

I walked into my room after a long day of studying and a disappointing test score. I collapsed on the bed and my eyes met the mess around me. I hate when my room is messy, it is a reflection of my boggled brain.

Do you think that your possessions are a true reflection of your inner self? I surveyed the radioactive waste around me and thought. Powerpoint printouts littering the floor surround a small opening where my body sat for 6 hours today, old tupperware containers, an empty water glass--empty because I spilled it this morning, clothes piled on the chair reflecting my indecisive nature, letters I meant to send, that book I'll eventually read, two alarm clocks just in case, open drawers, granola bar wrappers strewn across the desk--eaten in haste in the wee morning hours--something to sustain me as I tried to stay awake, running shoes, my power cord, the D and C manual, more papers buried under clothes content unknown, a Christmas napkin from lunch the other day, the duke blanket, and a pile of pens I dumped out of the drawer to find just the right one.

If you took it all away, cleared out the mess in big HAZMAT bags, emptied out the closet, the bookselves, the dresser, stole my secret stash of gum and wiped all the dust away, what would be left of me?

What would be left of you?


M

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmm ... love this post Sis. The state of my home is always a reflection of the state of my mind. If it's messy it's because I'm a mess. If it's clean and orderly it's usually because things are going well. Right now things are not super clean but not especially messy either - proof that we're managing okay I guess.

xoxo

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That is what my house felt like this weekend!! It was crazy!!! Luckily things are a little more under control now :) I totally agree with the state of your home/room is the state of your life. My mother in law gave me a quote the other day that I thought was pretty funny. She said that she doesn't appreciate the quote, "A house of order..." She said she found one that said something about the love, sweat, and broken things of life are what make and shape us. I love when my house is a house of order though :)

Anonymous said...

I think what is left is really what matters: our essence that isn't dependent on the physical things around us or whether we can do a task quickly or take a test well. But rather it is our being that breathes in and out with a deep centering breath of gratitude that we have life and it will go on despite messes both physical and mental. I have faced many such messes and I continue to breathe in and out with joy and wonder at life and the Lord's grand purposes.