10.8.13

you know you're a WHO intern when... part ii


  • after 7 weeks you still wear that little, light blue badge like a metal of honor. "Why yes mr. security guard, I do have a shiny badge to show you"
  • someone asks where in the organization you work and you've finally got down that you're in the SPP unit, in the DNP department, in the NMH cluster even though you're not exactly sure what all the letters stand for. So many acronyms
  • google translate is the most viewed page on your web browser. Czech, Russian, Romanian, French, Spanish, Polish, Indonesian, Portuguese, you name it, I've put it into google translate
  • the difference between 79 degrees and 89 degrees has never become so apparent. neither has the fact that I really liked air conditioning. (I realize this is not that hot, but it feels that hot when your sitting at a computer with a big glass window across from you baking you like an ant under a magnifying glass)
  • you get told by an expert to check the news that evening... there will be exciting news announced in his field. You're not really in the know, but you feel like you're in the know
  • you get the opportunity to meet Margaret Chan, who as it turns out, is extremely personable and rather fashionable.
And one only micro majors would understand:
  • you're doing research for a paper and come across a lovely article in pubmed entitled, "Tales of the Rabid Squirrel." yes.

2 comments:

Ali said...

I can't really think about anything other than you got to meet Margaret Chan! It reminds me how out.of.control. excited I was when Sir Michael Marmot came to BYU and nobody else knew who he was. You're so cool. I love your adventures.

Elizabeth said...

Not only do you get to meet Margaret Chan, but you also get to do some recon work JIC for when you take her job.