Geneva. So many things to love about Geneva. Well, of course, it's beautiful here. Much of the city is modern, but some of it is the Europe of your dreams. Old buildings, green pastures, red shutters, cows with bells, chocolate (the chocolate!), cheese (the cheese!), mountains and so much more. I live in a sleepy little suburb of Geneva that could not be more beautiful. Everyday I pass the same two old women with at least 4 or 5 dogs between them. I love that saying "bonjour!" to them each morning has become a part of each of our routines.
The WHO. Getting to be surrounded by people who do meaningful work, going to lectures on things that interest me, getting to learn about so much and be a small part of such a big thing... well, it's pretty great.
I've been reading Susan Cain's book, Quiet, about introverts. As you may have noticed, introvertism is somewhat of a cause I've taken up. But really everyone should read the book. Because if you aren't an introvert, you know one. So much of what she talks about in the book deeply resonated with me. It's pushed me to examine a lot of my personality traits, approach situations differently, and love some of those things about myself that kind of make me a hermit sometimes.
So with that frame of mind, I've been thinking a lot about my time here. About diving into the thick of things, about exploring, about preparation and caution, about making friends and connections, about reading at lunch or sitting by someone new, about being true to yourself, about finding balance. I wish I could articulate my thoughts here the way I want to, but for reason I just can't quite yet. Maybe someday.
love from Switzerland,
M
1 comment:
I had no idea you were in Geneva, but it doesn't surprise me either. What are you doing there?
My husband just finished reading that same book by Susan Cain. He has been telling me about it. It's very interesting. Anyway I just thought I'd say "hi."
Post a Comment