11.3.12

(intro)vert

The other day while I was shelving I got distracted by an article. That's the problem, you see, with working in a library is that you want to read things. I refrained and came back after class to read the article. I was intrigued because it was about the power of being introverted, and I am an introvert.

We live in a society that was made for and rewards extroverts. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with extroverts (I actually rather like quite a few of them). I even have some extroverted qualities myself. But I do think that we value too little the qualities of introverts. Sounds cheesy, but God made people different for a reason.

The article really didn't have anything profound to say, and I already knew that I had introverted tendencies, but it really it home with me. It reminded me that it's okay that I am the way I am. There is nothing wrong with me. People too often mistake introvertism for being shy, afraid of social situations or complacent. It's none of those things (although they can accompany introverted traits). Introverted people are genuinely content to be on their own. They like to do things one-on-one with people they know well. They don't love small talk. They get over stimulated by big groups, especially big groups of people they don't know.

It's okay that I would often rather do things alone than be in a crowded room with a bunch of strangers. It's okay that I prefer one-on-one conversations or that I would much rather have a small get together with my close family and friends than a huge bash. It reminded me that there is value in those qualities. I'm contemplative and observant. I can focus and work independently. I like to talk about real things and get passed that small talk stuff. I find satisfaction and fulfillment being on my own. I even enjoy it.

Being introverted doesn't mean I hate being with people (I really like people you see), or that I'm shy, or that I'll never do crazy extroverted-like things. It doesn't mean that I shouldn't go out of my comfort zone to get to know people or do things with people even when I'd rather be alone. It's all about balance.

After reading the article I felt empowered. Over the years (and especially the last few weeks) I've come to love and accept the fact that I am an introvert. I don't need to fight against it. I think it's made me realize why I am the way I am and why I react the way I do to things, which in turn helps me to see ways to cope in this extroverted world and push myself.

I am M and I am an introvert.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yes. Love this.

Ali said...

Love this! I spent the afternoon at the park today reading. By myself. I like being an introvert and I love my alone time. People who can't be alone make me uncomfortable. I used to feel like being introverted was a bad thing, but it works great for me.

R said...

Could this explain why I don't mind going to the movies or out to lunch/dinner all by myself? Hmmm ... could I be part-introvert? We'll have to hash all this out on that 8 hour flight we're taking soon. :)