Recently it seems that every girl I know has a boy in their life that is doing something very stupid. I've had multiple conversations with girls about the hurt all these boys have caused. The conversations inevitably end in frustration, exclamations of loathing and anger, feminist declarations, and a whole bunch of things that boys are doing wrong. And it always ends with an "I hate boys."
I'm totally guilty of adopting the man-hating persona. Throughout my life I've been told I am intimidating and scary, that I need to be nicer to boys, and that I give off this "I don't need a boyfriend" vibe. While I may come off that way (I'm working on it), it's high time I acknowledge how much I really do like them. Maybe the boys in our lives will be better because we look for the good in them and not the bad.
In my attempt at reconciliation, here is a short list of reasons why I love boys:
They see things in a more linear and simple way. Girls get lost in the dark and twisty webs of their minds. Boys offer a much needed straightforward perspective.
In general they tend to be funnier than girls. Humor is so important in life and I'm grateful for the boys in my life that make me laugh.
They push you to do more adventurous things. It's really hard to get a group of girls to go hiking. Add some boys to the mix and you'll be up in the mountains in a jiffy.
They genuinely want to fix problems. This definitely a point of contention (I just want you to listen to me; I don't want you to fix it!), but I think that it shows their love and respect for you if they want to help solve your problems.
They are strong and more physically apt than I am. Cannot tell you how many times that has come in handy.
They can hold the priesthood of God, which links us to them eternally.
Pretty much they are just really cute. (especially when they wear this. I'm totally a sucker for a man in uniform).
Boys are great. Even when they are not.
your reforming man-hater,
M
3 comments:
I love this for so many reasons.
so true. boys get dissed a lot, especially by us single chicas. thanks for the reminder!
Oooh, I love boys too. Especially when they run around playing "neaky injas" and yelling things like, "WEAPONS!" at the top of their lungs. I'm so glad you posted so I could spend a few minutes today thinking of the many, many reasons I love boys. :)
Post a Comment